Thursday, October 20, 2005

12 More Days 'Til Halloween

I'm a day late and at least a dollar short. Yesterday was the start of the Thirteen Days of Halloween. I put up my pumpkin lights and that was as far as I got before being felled by an intense need to sleep after the late night shows ended. Thus began the thirteen days of darkness, both figuratively and somewhat literally. When the pumpkin lights are up I don't turn on the basement lights. Not unless I want to turn some of the pumpkins white on the top side from sitting inches underneath of the light. So here I sit in the lusciously lurid and warm seeming glow of twenty glowering glowing jack-o-lanterns listening to Rob Zombie's Hellbilly Deluxe for the second time in as many days.

So what am I planning for the next 13 days? Tonight I'm looking forward to making my head explode with the original “Scanners” from David Cronenberg. If I still feel awake I might try and squeeze in “Scanners II“ as well, and yes I really like that movie. I even like the third installment though that is where I draw the line having only seen a few minutes of “Scanner Cop” and being totally annoyed with the drop in story-writing--which say a lot given “Scanners III“.

October 30 is always the night I watch the original “The Crow”. Some other night I intend to watch “Dead & Buried” for the second time. D&B is definitely an interesting film, with its incredibly graphic special effects from one of the masters of such stuff, Stan Winston. In particular D&B sports a “character” I affectionately refer to as “Ham-head” who Winston was obviously enamoured with having created such a fine specimen of pure gore and horror. Certainly the makers of the DVD for this film loved ol' Ham-head because he appears in all of the featurettes.

I'm holding onto the 1989 movie version “Phantom of the Opera” starring Robert Englund for some night close to Halloween. I'll probably re-watch the movie Raw Meat starring Donald Pleasance though honestly Pleasance is the only great thing about the movie. It's not that bad and it's not that good either, but Pleasance chews up the scenery as they say. Speaking of him, I'll also be watching “The Devonsville Terror” where he has a small but enjoyable part. Devonsville is paired on the DVD I have with the 1980 film “The Boogeyman” which has nothing to do with the 2005 film, nor apparently with anything to do with the boogeyman.

That's all for now Boils and Ghouls. More tomorrow.

Mood: Cool.
Music: Living Dead Girl by Rob Zombie and Haunted by Evanescence.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home