Monday, September 05, 2005

Labouring on Labour Day

Yesterday I finally sat down and typed out that scene in my second novel that I've been sitting on for a while. It ran a good length and I moved onto the very next scene, a bit of an expository piece to explain the previous scene, and then I quit with it dangling. It's good practice to leave off in the middle of a scene and leave yourself a couple of notes. Then when you come back you know what you have to do and you're not left staring at a blank page wondering what to do.

To the best of my knowledge I don't know if I will ever have what I think is traditional writer's block. You, know, where they open the word processor and stare at the blinking cursor and get no where. I don't think that will ever be me. I may on the other hand get project block where I stare at a particular piece of work and can't get anything for it to come to mind. Otherwise, I always seem to have something I could write. Ultimately, the results may be the same financially, whether you write nothing at all or you write lots but never finish anything.

At the minimum I seem to always be working on something. They may not be the things I should be working on *cough cough games*, they may not be the length or style I maybe should have a particular piece of work, but they are all worth the effort. I don't think there is anything that can't be put to use somewhere even if it takes years, and maybe a re-write. So I plug along, never ceasing it seems. They say there is no rest for the wicked. I therefore must be so awfully wicked.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home