Tuesday, October 25, 2005

I'll Put Pennies on Your Eyes

It's really disappointing when TV writers on shows that you like tend toward the lazy side. It's easy to make a 'bad guy' look really powerful when the hero suddenly pulls up stupid out of the blue. I won't name names, that only ever succeeds in clouding up any issue. Suffice it to say that when there are so many options open in a situation and they're all conveniently ignored that's when I get annoyed. It's even worse when it becomes a part of a repetition. Have none of these people heard the sayings, “Once bitten, twice shy.” or “Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me.“ At the least, if a hero is going to allow himself to be trod upon, he should at least give some indication of being afraid to put a stop to it, not just act as if there's no choice in the matter. It's kind of right up there with my beef of villains that aren't worth the title.

Speaking of good villains the only thing better than a good villain is two of them going head to head. First suggestion I have today is an absolute blast; thrills, chills, and a kick-butt grudge match that goes on and on in the best way possible. Of course I'm talking about “Freddy vs. Jason”. Better a pairing than even chocolate and peanut butter in a Reese's cup, FvJ is the ultimate pairing and this movie blends to the two movie world's and their stories together beautifully. This really is the 'best of both worlds' scenario. I can't help but wonder though, how it would have been had if it had been what I feel is the more traditional, not to mention menacing, Kane Hodder Jason than the more sympathetic tower of torment Ken Kirzinger Jason. Don't get me wrong I don't dislike the Kirzinger Jason and I can understand why the director thought a more dare we say softer Jason might be needed to really contrast nasty, vicious, true villain of the story, Freddy. I just would have liked to seen the other. Hodder's Jason has to be, in my opinion, the most emanating, anger expressive, figure there is. He just seethes, which is an impressive feat for a mute essentially faceless figure.

Now, I'd like to turn a slightly different direction for Halloween suggestions and talk a little bit about music. Not that I didn't mention some yesterday and even way back on the first day of this Thirteen Days of Halloween Blogging Bonanza. I've already mentioned Rob Zombie's Hellbilly Deluxe, and the soundtracks for The Nightmare Before Christmas, Demon Knight, and Bordello of Blood. I also happen to be the proud owner of the score for Poltergeist, which is nothing short of an awesome score.

Down below in my music selection for today's mention I have probably the most single most creepiest bit of sound ever put onto a recordable medium (studio tapes then eventually my CD edition). The second song of course. If you've never listened to it, go out and buy a copy, it's a great CD and that song plus the two that follow it to forming one fracturedly whole story are worth it alone, let alone the classic title track “Welcome to My Nightmare”, and the famous “Black Widow” song with its spectacular opening by Vincent Price.

Tomorrow can't come soon enough again, eh?

Mood: optimistic
Music: Breakthru by Queen and Years Ago by Alice Cooper

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home