Saturday, October 29, 2005

2 More Days 'Til El Dia de los Muertos

Okay, last night I took a chance and watched a comedy horror that goes by the full name of “The Fearless Vampire Killers or Pardon Me, But Your Teeth Are in My Neck“ which the TV listings smartly called just ”The Fearless Vampire Killers“. It's a Roman Polanski film, which was what made me decide to watch it in the first place. Its full of lots of little chuckle moments and is a touch farcical, but not overly so. The most outstanding part of it is the score, it's this great creepy theme that pops up a few times as the same music and a time here and there slightly changed up. It's really a great score for a serious horror film and it's a little saddening that it wasn't used for such a film. Its use of course is to be ironic, which it does come off as being.

Time for some of my favourites now. First up, I have a film that takes an awful lot of flack, but which I stand by as a great horror flick and one of the films I waited a excruciating time to see come out on DVD. I always start off by asking, how can a movie starring, among others, Robert Englund, based on a Stephen King story, and directed by Tobe Hooper, not be an excellent movie? To me it can't, and it most definitely is excellent. The only complaint I have is the excessive screaming of a certain actress in it. I can't stand characters who put more energy into screaming than they do into running for their actual lives. Otherwise I love this movie. What is it? It is “The Mangler”!

There was another favourite movie of mine that took forever and a day to come out on DVD and it was only this past September that it did after 22 years. I like to think that just about everyone has heard of it, it seems to be pretty infamous for at least one of its scenes. I mean come on, how can people forget the spectacle of seeing a woman give birth to a full grown man in full rending, horrific, gory, err, I mean glory? It seems they can't, and then they tell all sorts of other people about it and soon everyone's at least heard the name “Xtro”. It's nasty, sometimes vicious, sometimes downright goofy, and something like a train wreck that you can't look away from and why would you?

April 2004 saw the release on DVD of a movie that waited even longer at 24 years from its theatrical release. I really wanted this one considering I couldn't even find it on VHS unlike the previous suggestion. “The Monster Club” is a definite favourite of mine even though it was literally decades between viewings. It has Vincent Price and Donald Pleasance, though sadly the two of them don't get to share a scene. Something of a throwback, the movie was an anthology of three stories tied together by a fourth. Also bucking the trend its pretty tame in its special effects with only one nasty one that I was so relieved was still awesome today.

Finally not to break any trends myself my last suggestion for today is a movie whose name just about says it all, “Killer Klowns from Outer Space“. The first movie I'd ever heard described as a cult film, or should that be Kult film (disregarding that there's a Kult RPG, sadly out of print)? Really the title says all I'm willing to say about the plot, other than this is a great spoofy-goofy movie that is in my list of top favourites. See everybody tomorrow...

Mood: festive
Music: Shell by Bana (Witch Hunter Robin opening theme) and Halloween by Aqua

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home